Assistant Professor, Anthropology
1 YEAR, FULL-TIME TEMPORARY CONTRACT ASSIGNMENT SCHOOL OF ARTS & SCIENCES
Date Available: Fall 2011 through Winter 2012 semesters (32 weeks)
Salary: $51,952 plus benefits
Reports to: Associate Dean of Faculty Evaluation and Hiring, School of Arts & Sciences
- Teach courses in any or all of the following areas: Physical Anthropology, Cultural Anthropology, Archaeology, Native American Cultures, and Field Methods.
- Potential to develop courses in Medical Anthropology and/or other fields that will diversify the curriculum of the Social Science Department.
- Advise students, participate in committee work, hold office hours, and perform other tasks normally expected of faculty members.
- Assist the Department Head in the evaluation and revision of existing courses and creation of new courses.
- Contribute to Social Science Department and participate in assessment, program review, adjunct mentoring, and other projects as identified by the Department and Department Head.
- Support the development and implementation of teaching techniques that employ technology, flexible learning strategies, group interaction and innovative teaching practices.
- Adhere to the standards and requirements expressed in the faculty contract.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Learning College principles.
- Willingness to teach at multiple campus sites as needed by Department Head.
Grand Rapids Community College employs a faculty of more than 250 full-time and 350 part-time members as well as a staff of 650, all of whom are focused on the College’s priorities to be student-centered, collaborative, and flexible. Throughout its 95-year history of academic excellence, GRCC has maintained a solid reputation as a premier transfer institution and is nationally recognized for both its liberal arts and occupational programs.
- Master’s Degree in Anthropology, Ph.D. preferred.
- College or university teaching experience in Anthropology required. Community College teaching experience preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of contemporary issues in Anthropology.
- Effective communication skills.
- Understanding and appreciation of community college mission.
- Experience working with non-traditional students from diverse backgrounds preferred.
- Experience with alternative learning styles preferred.
GRCC is especially interested in candidates who have the right combination of professional expertise, attitude, and abilities and candidates who embrace technology and a variety of effective teaching methods. As a college community working to support learners, we value: -Our community of learners as the essence of our work -Integrity, accountability, and responsible risk taking -A high quality learning environment that is nurturing and challenging -A working environment characterized by collaboration and shared responsibility for the whole -Innovation and creativity -Diversity and respect for all people -Strong community connections
METHOD OF APPLICATION
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobs. Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. Submit a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcripts, and three professional reference letters. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on January 28, 2011. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If items are sent separately, items should reference your name and the position/position number for which you are applying.
NOTES : The following information is provided by the employer. Department of Anthropology is not responsible for verifying the accuracy of these statements.