Google’s mission is to organize the world‘s information and make it universally accessible and useful. Beginning in 1996, Stanford University graduate students Larry Page and Sergey Brin built a search engine called “BackRub” that used links to determine the importance of individual web pages. By 1998 they had formalized their work, creating the company you know today as Google.
This position (Communications and Public Affairs Manager) is based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The area : Global Communications and Public Affairs
It's our job to help inform and educate users, advertisers, partners and opinion leaders about the benefits of Google's products, our distinctive company culture/values, and our approach to the big public policy issues of the day. We are looking for quick-witted, entrepreneurial and intellectually curious people to join the team. To succeed here, you'll need to be able to combine creativity with organizational skills to manage numerous different projects to tight deadlines simultaneously, as well enjoy pitching to all kinds of journalists, bloggers and commentators (we find it hard too!). Things happen quickly at Google and to get stuff done here you need to be a team player - a self-starter who can work cross-functionally and isn't frightened to take risks or try out new ways of doing things.
The role: Communications and Public Affairs Manager (Bahasa Malaysia)
As a member of the Global Communications & Public Affairs team in Kuala Lumpur, you will work cross- functionally to help communicate with journalists and other thought leaders in Malaysia; devise specific communications materials and campaigns based on understanding of journalists' interests; engage in face- to-face meetings with commentators and other opinion formers; develop print and web-based material supporting these campaigns; and counter misinformation that might interfere with our business and ability to serve our users.
- Take responsibility for all communications activities for Google in Malaysia
- Represent Google as a company spokesperson for a wide variety of media and blogger inquiries
- Collaborate with Google engineering, product, sales, and marketing teams to create compelling communications strategies that illustrate the functionality and key benefits of our consumer and advertising products
- Develop close, productive relationships with journalists, bloggers, product reviewers and our key partners in Malaysia
- Develop written materials, including story pitches, messaging guidelines, press releases, Q&As, presentations and speeches
- Train and provide advice to company officials for press conferences, media interviews and trade presentations
- Manage a PR agency to help support day-to-day inquiries, special projects, and events
- Bachelors degree or equivalent with a strong academic record.
- At least 6 years of professional experience in fast-paced business, media or non-profit environment, ideally in Malaysia
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written
- Ability to think, plan, and execute on multiple projects simultaneously in an organized fashion
- Demonstrated ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in fast-paced, high-stress environments, as well as ability to escalate appropriately.
- Ability to work with colleagues in different countries and appreciate cultural differences
- Fluency in Bahasa Malaysia and English
The following information is provided by the employer. Department of Anthropology is not responsible for verifying the accuracy of these statements.