The American Anthropological Association (AAA) a national non-profit organization located in the DC-metro area seeks a Marketing and Communications Manager. The American Anthropological Association represents over 10,000 anthropologists in the United States. Anthropological skills are used in such diverse pursuits as architectural design, reforestation, public health, marketing research, consumer behavior, and the law.
This position is responsible for developing, implementing and coordinating the internal and external messaging and marketing of the association, its existing and new publications, activities, products and services. The marketing and communications manager will collaborate across departments of AAA to develop unified messaging strategies designed to highlight and raise the profile of the institution with its members, the anthropological and social science community and the general public. Responsibilities also include providing strategic expertise and advice in the migration of products and material from traditional print and paper media to online digital platforms. Increase usage and visibility of online content.
Additional responsibilities include :
- Plan, develop strategies for, and manage association social networking initiatives. Monitor trends in the use of social media tools and applications and implement a social media strategy that communicates AAA and its products and services to internal and external audiences. Assist in identifying opportunities and writing text for social media messaging.
- Develop and implement initiatives to increase web traffic on association homepage, blog and other online media portals.
- Plan, write, edit and manage the creation and production of content for comprehensive email, direct mail, online and other informational and marketing campaigns.
- Create and contribute content for association electronic AnthroNews. Provide communications advice and guidance for both internal and external contributors. Assist in the development of strategies to increase member participation in AAA surveys and the dissemination of survey results.
- Maintain and post new web content for public affairs, communications and marketing functions.
- Develop and implement strategies to market and promote domestic and international policy priorities of the association and design online campaigns to engage AAA member contribution to them.
- Advise Director of Public Affairs on promoting AAA’s work and in providing access to the anthropological expertise of anthropologists by Congressional and Executive Branch agencies’ policy and rulemaking initiatives.
QUALIFICATIONS: Education: Undergraduate degree (BA or BS) in communications, public relations, journalism or marketing. Strong familiarity with OR additional degree in Anthropology strongly preferred.
Experience: At least 5-7 years of experience in a communications or marketing capacity, preferably for a non-profit or membership-based association. Experience with web content management systems is preferred. Familiarity with providing content for, and promoting, new media portals (such as blogs, podcasts, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr Linkedin, digg, etc.) is highly desirable.
Skills and Abilities: Strategic thinker and planner in the fields of communications and marketing. Candidate must be adept at working with internal staff and association leadership with a view to advancing organizational priorities. Superb administrative and organizational/systems skills are essential – individual must be able to conceptualize and implement an operational plan in a complex organizational structure. Gifted writer/editor capable of drafting concise, compelling text preferred.
AAA is an Equal Opportunity employer with an excellent compensation/benefits package. Send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please
The following information is provided by the employer. Department of Anthropology is not responsible for verifying the accuracy of these statements.